Monday, July 10, 2006

Response to Comments

I've gotten two recent requests.
One person is looking for more material on famous people with psychiatric disorders. Some cases of famous people can be found on my web site "Case Histories from the History of Psychiatry." I would also suggest the recent book by Joshua Wolf Shenk, Lincoln's Melancholy: How Depression Challenged a President and Fueled his Greatness."I liked it because it tries to show how emotional distress can lead to acheivemnets, as well as suffering.
A second person asked for historical images of the mentally ill. Again there are some on my web site "Case Histories …." I would also suggest two books edited by the historian Sander Gilman. 1. The Face of madness: Hugh W. Diamond and the Origin of Psychiatric Photography; 2. Seeing the Insane. I could also suggest "Madness in America: Cultural and Medical Perceptions of Mental Illness before 1914," by Lynn Gamwell and Nancy Tomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment